Description of the Project
The Central Union of Chambers of Greece (KEEE) designed the project “Upgrading and Expansion of the institution of Apprenticeships – Apprenticeship Partnerships”, which was included and funded by the Operational Development Program Education and Lifelong Learning ” (2014-2020). KEEE is a co-beneficiary of the Act, together with the NSRF Staff Structure of the Sector of Employment and Social Economy (ED APKO), of the Ministry of Labor, Social Security and Social Solidarity.
The Act contributes to the strengthening the institutionalization of apprenticeship in Greece through the dual system in order to tackle youth unemployment. The main object of the Act is to attract companies and support the creation of apprenticeships by them as well as to support the implementation of apprenticeship in these companies.
In the context of the implementation, the project consists of the following subprojects:
- Consulting for attracting companies, cooperation with companies, selection of companies and recording of Apprenticeship positions offered by them”
- Training of trainers (mentors) in enterprise level, business consulting services, training the trainers – mentors during the implementation of the Apprenticeship”.
The Project is running in all Greek regions and in the initial vocational training institutions which implement apprenticeship programmes, namely: a) Apprenticeship Class in EPAL, b) Institutes of Vocational Training (IEK) and c) EPAS Schools of Organisation for Employment (OAED).
The Act includes a separate Section of Actions on “Creating Business Clusters to promote Apprenticeship”. Apprenticeship Clusters can create an attractive and functional framework for apprenticeships to take important steps within businesses, at the initiative of the business world itself.
Conditions and Prerequisites for enterprises participation
In order the enterprises to participate in the Project and provide apprenticeships the following criteria should be met:
- The employer undertakes to provide the apprentice with on-the-job training, according to a defined program, which, in combination with the learning program in the educational structure, leads to certification of the knowledge and skills acquired by the apprentice and leads to a specific specialty.
- All private companies in the country, regardless of size and legal form, can participate in the institution of Apprenticeship and must apply the principles of the National Quality Framework for Vocational Education, Training and Apprenticeship (Ministry of Labor, Social Security and Solidarity, Ministry of Education and Religions and OAED).
- The company is useful to have the appropriate facilities for on-site training in the specific specialty, the appropriate means and equipment.
- The company ensures the observance of the conditions of health and safety at work, provided by the existing provisions, for the protection of employees and apprentices.
- To have in the workplace an experienced mentor-trainer of the same or related specialty with the apprentice who will be designated as a “mentor in the workplace” and will undertake the effective implementation of educational activities in the workplace, monitoring the trainee’s progress and feedback responsible teacher of the educational unit through which the student participates in the program.
- The company must keep all the means (electronic and printed) to monitor the implementation of the Apprenticeship (such as Monthly Employment Bulletin (presentation), Student Learning Diary etc)
- An Apprenticeship Agreement is signed between the employer, the student and the school, which states the start and end time of the internship, as well as the obligations of both the employer and the apprentice.
- In case the company wants to offer an apprenticeship to a specific apprentice, it must issue a certificate stating the apprentice’s name and stating that it wishes to provide an apprenticeship for a specific specialty. The apprentice should present this certificate to the educational structure he/she is attending.
The expected results of the Project are:
- raising the awareness of companies about the institution of apprenticeship,
- offering quality apprenticeships from the business world of the country
- reducing youth unemployment,
- upgrading the organizational capacity of companies to welcome apprentices and provide effective apprenticeships,
Creating partnerships between all stakeholders in the apprenticeship process to provide comprehensive support to apprentices, support, enhance and monitor the quality and effectiveness of the apprenticeship in our country as a key means of connecting VET with the labor market.
The Act aims to contribute to the institutionalization of apprenticeship in Greece in order to address the youth unemployment, to attract business, to support job creation through apprenticeships and support the implementation of apprenticeship